It’s official. The kids are back in school after our glorious time off for holidays, and sports schedules are about to pick up in full swing. Keeping your family nourished and well-fed is regaining its importance in your daily routine...
It’s official. The kids are back in school after our glorious time off for holidays, and sports schedules are about to pick up in full swing. Keeping your family nourished and well-fed is regaining its importance in your daily routine.
An additional element to consider when packing your little ones’ lunches and snacks are the foods’ dental hygiene factors.
Heres Gables Sedation &Family Dentistry healthy snacks for your kids:
- Vegetables. The best veggies to pack for snacks are dark greens, reds, oranges, legumes and starchy options for quick energy- perfect for after school sports!
- Fruits, especially whole fruits! Try sending a grapefruit- it’s a little tart, but great for boosting metabolism. The vitamins and minerals packed in fresh and whole fruits are unbeatable and essential to optimal development.
- Grains, especially whole grains! Whenever possible, opt for grains with the most nutrients.
- Dairy products like cheese and yogurt. These are high in protein and calcium, two essential ingredients for building stronger teeth.
- Protein foods like seafood (try shrimp), poultry, lean meats, eggs (hard boiled eggs keep perfectly at school), legumes, nuts, seeds and soy products.
- Most importantly, don’t forget about water! If you are with your kids when they’re eating, encourage them to drink a glass of water before each meal and snack. Water is essential to the body’s hydration, but also to the health of mouth’s environment for breaking down food and organizing nutrients for bodily absorption.
- Amongst other dietary implications, saturated and trans fats should be avoided to support healthy teeth.
If you’re looking for a family dentistry near me, look no further! Come into Coral Gables for the best and most comprehensive oral care for the whole family.